Jeanette Steenkamp has been in private practice for over 6 years. She holds both a master’s degree in psychology (Stellenbosch University), as well as a master’s degree in counselling psychology (Rhodes University). Before entering private practice, she worked at a residential addiction treatment centre for adults. When not conducting research, she attended courses in mindfulness meditation and Jungian psychology.
Jeanette views every individual she encounters as unique. This allows her to adjust her therapeutic approach to best suit her client’s needs. She incorporates various therapeutic techniques such as person-centred approach, cognitive-behavioural therapy, solution-focused therapy, narrative psychotherapy, and psychodynamic therapy.
- In a Person-Centred Approach the individual is treated with unconditional positive regard and is listened to emphatically. This allows the practitioner to fully understand what has brought you to therapy.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can assist with any unhelpful cognitive or behavioural patterns that may be limiting you.
- Solution-focused therapy can allow for brainstorming for practical solutions to a given problem.
- Narrative therapy can allow you to visualise or formulate who you want to become, incorporating your dreams, goals, and values.
- Psychodynamic therapy allows for an exploration of how our personalities may be shaped by unconscious processes or past experiences.
Jeanette’s areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Personal growth
- Problems adjusting to life transitions
- Relationship problems
- Self-esteem difficulties
- Stress and Anxiety
- Processing trauma and loss
Jeanette is fluent in both Afrikaans and English.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Jeanette Steenkamp, you can contact her directly on email@example.com
HPCSA Reg: PS 0132241
Practice Number: 0635219